High pitched screech followed by a very brief increase in speed.

edited June 2016 in Treadmill Problems
I have a TRUE PS 300 treadmill.

One thing I like to do is just to walk at a reasonable speed on a large incline. 12+. I like to walk at a speed of 3mph...this can vary slightly though. I always listen to music through earbuds while exercising.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that...not consistently nor frequently but at random times the treadmill felt like it picked up a fair amount of speed. Only for less than a second. I took this as my cue to get some maintenance done.

The gentleman came out, he did some routine maintenance. Everything turned out ok. He could not replicate the noise. He did say the motor was dark from heat but is fine. He gave a variety of reasons that could cause this and I asked point blank "Is this something to be concerned with?" To which he said no. I really don't doubt him.

Receipt says:
"Speed sensor ok"
"Recalibration ok"
"Clean Motor area"
"Motor comm. dark"

Later on that day I get on turn up the incline and sure enough, 5 minutes in I feel that "quick step". I had to leave the room for a bit and when I came back I didn't have my earbuds. I get on anyways and just exercise with the noise of the treadmill and a muted TV. Before/during each "quick step" is an audible screech followed by an increase in the "hum" for just a second or less. The hum being the regular sound of the treadmill while its on, mixed with my footsteps. The faster the treadmill goes, the louder the hum. So in short there is a screech and an increase in speed (not registered by the monitor) for a step. It is enough for my body to have acclimate itself slightly...not enough for me to trip or lose balance.

It is hard for me to tell if the screech if from a belt or what it could be from. I just know I am a little nervous to what it could be and the associated cost.

All I can think of are the things I failed to ask or tell the maintenance guy.
"Did the belt need lube?"
"Is the belt tight/loose enough?"
"I exercise at inclines mainly"

Comments

• I would highly recommend you lube the belt & deck at least twice a year, It sounds like it needs to be lube, by what you are describing.