Nordictrack C2255 Stopped Working

I have a Nordictrack C2255 treadmill. It is over 10 years old. Today it stopped working. Now after inserting the key and pressing Start, I can hear the motor turn on and the walking belt begins to move. After 1-2 seconds, the motor turns off and the belt stops.

Here's what I've checked so far:

* Motor Belt is intact
* Motor and Walking Belt spin freely with fingertips
* Reed Switch tested with multimeter and switches on/off as roller magnet passes by
* Motor Controller has power and displays a solid on LED. None of the error blinking patterns are observed
* Various diagnostic modes do not provide any obviously help information, probably because the unit doesn't run long enough to provide data

I would guess the problem is the Motor Controller and/or the Motor. However, I really don't have a clue how to isolate the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Methods to test a motor:
    Cordless drill battery- get a fully-charged, 18 volt (preferred) cordless drill battery and on most treadmills connect the red and black motor leads to the battery (some have different colors but if you have two wires and get it hooked up backwards, the motor will just run backwards and won't be harmed). If good, the motor should operate at about 1 MPH.

Car battery- these are 12VDC high amp batteries so the motor will turn slowly but you can walk on the belt. Always be careful with battery acid on these things so we don't recommend bringing them in the house?take the treadmill to the battery.

Lantern battery- a fully charged lantern battery should operate your motor at a slow speed but lacks the amperage to have someone walk on the belt.

Use an outside DC converter with a variable speed input. The most complex but also the best way to test a motor. If you have a way to do this, it is the preferred method and how we do it in the field on local service calls.

For other motor diagnoses, see the Loses Power When I Step on the Belt test topic.
    If you have questions, email us at doc@treadmilldoctor.com
  • I have also tested bypassing the thermal switch; no difference.

Isolated the motor and connected a 20V drill battery for over a minute. Motor/Walking Belt turned smoothly - no issue.

I am wondering if the problem might be with the Console. The Motor Controller LED is solid ON, whereas it should blink quickly when Start is pressed. However, it might not blink simply because it stops after about 1 second of motor power.

Any suggestions on how to isolate between the Console and the Motor Controller?
  • Sounds like its a motor controller that is the issue.
  • edited January 2022
    Hi to all, it’s a old tread but here’s my comment .. Had this problem last week, treadmills starts full speed 1-2 seconds and stop’s, here’s the solution: on the main power board I’ve changed the n-channel 200V mosfet part number : IRFP250.. it’s a 30Amp, did not found the exact same one but changed it to a IRFP260NPBF, 50Amp and it works well. Part is about 2$ or more. Now the C2255 works as new :-) Good day to all !