Pro-Form Crosswalk Fit 415 Issues

edited December 2016 in Treadmill Problems
This treadmill is less than 1 year old, I was getting a strong electrical smell after 4 months of use, I used the treadmill approx 60 minutes each day (2-30 minute sessions). The motor then quit and the treadmill wouldn't move, so I replaced the motor first...still nothing. So I then replaced the motor controller and the treadmill started working again. However, I am still getting that strong electrical smell, and the motor and motor controller get warm/hot after about 10 minutes of use.

Please see the following video that I made this morning, I am not very electric savvy so hopefully I just have something hooked up wrong, or its something simple:

Thanks in advance,
Teddy

Comments

• I noticed on another thread that the motor heating up could be from the belt/deck not being lubricated (which I haven't done yet since I bought it). So I went home at lunch time and liberally lubricated the deck/rollers,etc twice and tested for 15 minutes at my avg walking pace:

5 minutes: motor not warm, no electrical smell from the motor
    10 minutes: motor warm, slight electrical smell from the motor
    15 minutes: motor warmer, slightly stronger electrical smell from the motor

Motor control board, was warm to the touch at the 15 minute mark.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
  • Also forgot to add, the motor temp and smell seem to be better since lubrication, but I am still concerned that something more might be wrong? Thanks
  • Update, went down for my 30 minute after dinner walk, the treadmill now runs for between 30-55 seconds before shutting down, and going through the procedure in the video. The treadmill did this about 15 straight times. Very frustrated right now!! Help!

I should have probably said before now, but the motor and motor/speed control board were brand new yesterday.

• Update, is there anyone out there?!

I read somewhere online that GFCI outlets and treadmills don't mix, so I plugged the treadmill into a standard outlet and tested the treadmill for 10 minutes, treadmill did not shut down.

Motor has been the coolest it's been yet, still getting a very slight electrical smell at the 10+ minute mark, but maybe that's just what's left over from before? Motor control board is still warm to the touch on the heat sink side, about the same It has been.

Thanks
  • Morning update, treadmill is shutting off again before the 1 minute mark on 20 straight occasions. Checked all wiring, changed outlets, etc and it kept shutting off...
  • I would take a amp draw reading with load and with out, also i would lube the belt and deck if not done already.
  • I would take a amp draw reading with load and with out, also i would lube the belt and deck if not done already.
    Belt/deck have been lubed liberally about 5 times since this all started.

How would I take an AMP draw?

Thanks

• DC Amp Draw
    Measure on the hot DC lead (usually red) going from the controller to the drive motor. If you have a simple multi-meter with a DC amp test setting the best way to test is to put the meter inline on the red motor lead with alligator clips. If you have a more expensive clamp meter, clamp the meter around the red motor wire. Run the machine at 2.5 MPH without a person on the belt. If the motor and drive system are healthy, you should have a reading in the 2-3 amp range. Then walk on the treadmill at the same speed. With a person of average size (around 200 lbs.) you should have a reading in the 6-8 amp range if the belt is good. The readings will fluctuate more with a load but you are looking for an average reading but you shouldn't see spikes above 10 amps. If the amp readings are high without a load, you could have a problem with high resistance in the motor, a bad bearing, or over-tightened belts. Regular readings without a load but high readings with a load indicate a worn belt and/or deck.
  • DC Amp Draw
    Measure on the hot DC lead (usually red) going from the controller to the drive motor. If you have a simple multi-meter with a DC amp test setting the best way to test is to put the meter inline on the red motor lead with alligator clips. If you have a more expensive clamp meter, clamp the meter around the red motor wire. Run the machine at 2.5 MPH without a person on the belt. If the motor and drive system are healthy, you should have a reading in the 2-3 amp range. Then walk on the treadmill at the same speed. With a person of average size (around 200 lbs.) you should have a reading in the 6-8 amp range if the belt is good. The readings will fluctuate more with a load but you are looking for an average reading but you shouldn't see spikes above 10 amps. If the amp readings are high without a load, you could have a problem with high resistance in the motor, a bad bearing, or over-tightened belts. Regular readings without a load but high readings with a load indicate a worn belt and/or deck.
    Thanks, I will test and advise.

• edited December 2016
    DC Amp Draw
    Thanks, I will test and advise.

As you can see by the video, I was getting readings of 11+ when I turned the treadmill on, up the 15+ when I turned the console up to 2.5...however the belt/deck never moved??

• drive belt too tight??
  • Update: went home at lunch and checked the drive belt, it was a little off center on the deck end pulley, so I loosed the deck belt and adjusted the drive belt. Retighted the deck belt until slipping stopped, no tighter.

The treadmill still shuts off before 1minute under load. I currently have it running at 2.5mph with no load, -!: it's been running fine for 5 minutes now and does not shut off.

Plz help!
  • Any ideas admin?
  • Sounds like it may be in the Motor controller but issue may be caused by worn running belt and a lack of lube, you give it very a of use and if this is your first time lubing the deck it may be to late.
  • Sounds like it may be in the Motor controller but issue may be caused by worn running belt and a lack of lube, you give it very a of use and if this is your first time lubing the deck it may be to late.
    Well it's funny you say that, because the deck/frame developed a loud squeak/creak during the last few months of usage. It didn't get any better with lubing the deck, so I'm wondering if something is broken hardware wise. Visually I can't see anything, but who knows something might have a crack in it and causing everything to flex.

Honestly, I've been thinking about just junking it. I paid $400+ plus $150 in parts for the new motor and controller, its obviously not a very well build treadmill if I've had all of these issues in less than a year of ownership. I've been looking at getting something a little more heavy duty for the amount that I use it, what would you suggest? I am 6' and 215 pounds FYI. Like I said, I use it for running 30 minutes in the morning, and walking 30 minutes in the evening.

I've been looking at the Sole F63. Overall thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ted
  • I would highly recommend a sole unit. I would also look into purchasing a extend warranty if the unit is new.
  • Just bought a brand new Sole F63. thanks
  • Good Luck, and make sure you keep belt & deck lube.