Treadmill Has a Mind of its Own

I have a Proform 580 XP Crosstrainer. It has been working fine for years, but recently I started having troubles. First a few buttons on the console stopped working but I could still use it. But recently the motor changes speed randomly even though it is set to run in manual mode. I've searched a few different sites and it seems like for these types of problem the most likely cause is the controller gone bad.

The controller isn't cheap either, so before I order one, just wanted to check if anyone has a similar experience or some opinion about it. Or if there are some additional troubleshooting or details I should watch out for.

Thanks,
Javed.

Comments

• great call to check first as there are numerous tests you can do before purchasing a controller...

the very first thing to check is the condition of your belt and deck

have you ever changed your belt?
  • No, have not changed the belt or deck. Both of these look fine I don't see any issue with them.
  • ok if you are sure on the belt

inspect all the wiring from the panel to the speed sensor first, then please check to make sure all wires are securely plugged in inside

make sure there is no crimping in the wires

It could be that the lower board is not sending voltage to the console and the only way to know this is if you have a voltmeter and can test the red wire & the black wire.

You should have anywhere from 8vdc to 12vdc on those two wires.

If you have that voltage then the console is bad.
    If you do not have the voltage then the motor controller is bad.

if all of this is fine then please check these directions for a sensor/magnet check
    https://www.treadmilldoctor.com/panel-dims-kf

hope this helps!
  • Thanks a lot. Yes, I should be able to check the voltage as well and will update you once I look into it. Probably over the weekend though.
  • Hi admin-it....we are having a sort of similar issue with our treadmill and tested our wires; the black wire reads about 8.3 but when the control board clicks on and off the voltage flickers between 8.5 and 3.2.
    The red wire reads 7.8 but when the control board clicks on it flickers between 8 and 2.
    Does this mean we need to replace something? Do you have any suggestions?
    Thank you!
  • Sounds like in both cases you would need a controller.
  • Once you've added items to your Cart, and you are ready to Check out and you put all your shipping info in. Use the code 1982 at checkout for a 5% discount on your order
  • Thanks jimbo97. I ordered the part before I saw this message 😩 but that’s ok. I’ll just be happy to get my treadmill working again!! I truly appreciate your help.
  • @admin-it I checked the voltage as you suggested, and it does seem to have problem. When the motor is running steadily, the meter reads between 11.2 ~ 11.4 but when it starts to act up, the voltage drops to 3 or 2, sometimes even 0.

With this I believe we can conclude that the controller is bad.

But as I started to note down other things that aren't working, it seems like the console board is also about to die. Here are the things that don't work anymore: Speed #3, decrease speed, the heart rate sensor, and the fan doesn't start anymore. I didn't pay attention to most of these because I wasn't using them.

One thing that I'm not sure if it is normal or not. When I set the speed (let's say 2.5) it shows that for a little bit, then resets back to 0. When the motor begins to do those unexpected speed changes, the values of speed on display also changes according to how the motor speed is changing.

Anyways, the bottom line of all this is that, if the console board is also nearing its end of life, I might be better off in dumping this treadmill altogether.

What do you think?

• sounds like you also have a console issue and those consoles are no longer available.
  • Thanks for your assistance. It really saved me headaches down the road.