walking board repair

Hi,

I have done some premature damage over time to my Smooth (now apparently out of business) treadmill due to the walking belt perhaps being too tight (could only lift it up about an inch at the center of the deck when starting to partly disassemble the unit) and/or a little neglect in lubing the deck often enough over time.

I am fortunate enough to have an unopened spare walking belt already. I sent the motor in for what seems like a good-priced rebuild (but about $50 just to ship it). It was still running but I could tell it was going bad for a couple of different reasons. I should hopefully be able to change one or two roller bearings that could be functioning better, as I did this before (semi-successfully).

My next issue is the walking board. The surface is starting to blister over a relatively small area close to the center, and I cannot immediately tell whether this surface is a thin plastic sheet of some kind (phenolic?), an applied varnish of sorts, or something else. It would probably be okay for a while longer just leaving it if I subsequently care for it better and certainly not worth a new board the way it seems.

But as long as I have it apart and need to wait a while for the motor to get back anyway, some way of repairing or reconditioning this board to hopefully make it last a little longer would be nice. Any suggestions regarding how this sort of repair is best attended to these days would be appreciated. I did not find much usable information through other online searching. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comments

• You can't really repair the deck, its a phenolic deck. its a very thin layer of material on the deck.